What you'll learn in this post?
- Do you need a screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?
- What kinds of screen protectors available?
- Where can you get a screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?
- What to look for when buying a screen protector ?
- Who has the best screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?
The glossy stock touchscreen is a source of glare and magnet for fingerprints and dust. You might find yourself cleaning the touchscreen every time you walk into the car.
Do you need a screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?
The answer to this question depends on many factors. You certainly need a screen protector for you Tesla touchscreen if one of the below is true:
- You use a screen protector on your phone
- You have pets or kids in the car
- You frequently have visitors/strangers (such as driving for Uber/Lyft or frequently transport colleagues/friends) touching your touchscreen
- The glare off the Tesla touchscreen bothers you when driving
- You have oily fingers and you see many fingerprints on the touchscreen
- You are worried about making permanent scratches to the touchscreen
What kinds of screen protectors available for Tesla touchscreen?In general, there are two kinds of screen protectors: glossy and matte.
As the name implies, glossy screen protector reflects the light much like the stock screen protector. It also does not do a good job of reducing fingerprints.
On the other hand, matte screen protector diffuses the light instead of reflecting therefore no glare when sunlight falls on it. After installing the matte screen protector you will see your screen a sliver grainy. In just couple of days the new matte screen will grow on you and you will like it for the benefits it offers:
- Reduced fingerprints and thus keeps the touchscreen brand new looking
- Your fingers do not 'stick' when scrolling on matte screen; you feel your fingers move smoothly when you touch and move elements on the touchscreen. This is my personal favorite feature of matte screen !
- Thanks to the additional anti-glare layer, matte screen protectors are thicker than glossy screen protector thus better protection from scratching and impact
Some other characteristics to look for in a screen protector are:
- Hardiness: most of the screen protectors that are available for Tesla touchscreens are 9H rated which means they are safe for any abrasive material that is not not topaz or corundum (extremely hard aluminum oxide) Did you see Elon Accessories screen protector face tough knife scratch test?
- PET vs tempered glass: PET (polyethylene terephthalate) film is what Tesla provides on the stock touchscreen when you bought the car. It essentially is a thick plastic film. The benefits are so negligible that it does not make sense to use as screen protector. On the other hand, tempered glass is multi-layered and usually starts with shock absorbent silicon on the bottom layer, followed by PET film, and an optically clear adhesive layer followed by tempered glass and oleophobic coating
Where can you get a screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?
Thanks to many creators, innovators and entrepreneurs, as a Tesla owner you have multiple options. As of this writing RPM Tesla, AbstractOcean, EVANNEX, eBay, Wish, AliExpress (cheapest) and of course, ElonAccessories sell screen protectors for Tesla.
Did you see this surprising video of how other seller's screen protectors look alike?
While unfortunately many (if not all) sellers chose to resell from Alibaba.com, we at ElonAccessories refuse to resell from Alibaba.com.
Instead, we believe Tesla owners need quality screen protector to protect and enjoy their investment. You can read more about our story is About us section; but in short, we custom designed the screen and accessories. That is why when you buy a screen protector from other sellers they all look similar while ElonAccessories screen protector is from a different league.
What to look for when buying a screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?Look for quality and reviews over anything else. Any product could be made either cheaply and quality.
Also look for if the seller is US based or overseas. Check if you will get accessories for installation. Make sure to read previews reviews for ease of installation, clear directions and finally the quality - fit and functionality. It is good to check for customer service.
Who has the best screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?It may sound like a biased opinion but as a Tesla owner I use accessories from other companies. As of writing of this blog post, we at Elon Accessories have the word's best screen protector a Tesla owner can get. Because:
- Every part of our screen protector is custom made specifically for Tesla owners- the actual screen protector, installation kit, premium packaging
- We strive to keep as much of prediction in USA as possible
- We are California (Silicon Valley to be specific) based company that is deeply rooted in the ethos of technology, design and innovation
- Unparalleled customer service
See what other Tesla owners have to say about us in review section of any screen protector product page.
Choose one of the below and start protecting and enjoying your Tesla touchscreen.