What you'll learn in this post?
- Do you need a screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?
- What kinds of screen protectors available?
- Where can you get a screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?
- What to look for when buying a screen protector?
- Who has the best screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?
The glossy stock touchscreen is a source of glare and magnet for annoying fingerprints and dust. You might find yourself cleaning the touchscreen every time you walk into the car.
Do you need a screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?
The answer to this question depends on many factors. You certainly need a screen protector for you Tesla touchscreen if one of the below is true:
- You use a screen protector on your phone
- You have pets or kids in the car
- You frequently have visitors/strangers (such as driving for Uber/Lyft or frequently transport colleagues/friends) touching your touchscreen
- The glare off the Tesla touchscreen bothers you while driving
- You have oily fingers and you see many fingerprints on the touchscreen
- You are worried about making permanent scratches to the touchscreen
What kinds of screen protectors available for Tesla touchscreen?In general, there are two kinds of screen protectors: glossy and matte.
As the name implies, glossy screen protector reflects the light much like the stock screen protector. It also does not do a good job of reducing fingerprints.
On the other hand, matte screen protector diffuses the light instead of reflecting therefore no glare when sunlight falls on it. After installing the matte screen protector you will see your screen a tad grainy. In just couple of days the new matte screen will grow on you and you will like it for the benefits it offers:
- Reduced (not permanently eliminating) fingerprints
- Your fingers do not 'stick' when scrolling on matte screen. You will feel your fingers move smoothly when you touch and slide fingers on the touchscreen. This is my personal favorite feature of matte screen !
- Thanks to the additional anti-glare layer, matte screen protectors are thicker than glossy screen protectors and thus offer better protection from scratching and impact
- Hardiness: most of the screen protectors that are available for Tesla touchscreens are 9H rated which means they are safe for any abrasive material that is not not topaz or corundum (extremely hard aluminum oxide). Did you see Elon Accessories screen protector face tough knife scratch test below?
- PET vs Tempered glass: PET (polyethylene terephthalate) film is what Tesla provides on the stock touchscreen when you buy the car. You probably remember peeling it off or you might still have it on your touchscreen. Tesla uses it so during transportation the touchscreen is safe. It essentially is a plastic film. The benefits are so negligible that it does not make sense to use as screen protector. On the other hand, tempered glass is multi-layered and usually starts with shock absorbent silicon on the bottom layer, followed by PET film, and an optically clear adhesive layer followed by tempered glass and oleophobic coating
PET films are cheap. Many Tesla owners think they are getting real protection with PET film, worse even, many sellers sell PET film as tempered glass.
Look at this review for one of the top selling screen protectors for Tesla on Amazon.
Where can you get a screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?
Thanks to many creators, innovators and entrepreneurs, as a Tesla owner you have multiple options. As of this writing RPM Tesla, AbstractOcean, EVANNEX, eBay, Wish, AliExpress (cheapest) and of course, ElonAccessories sell screen protectors for Tesla.
Did you see this surprising video of how other seller's screen protectors look alike?
While unfortunately many (if not all) sellers chose to resell from Alibaba.com, we at ElonAccessories refuse to resell from Alibaba.com.
Instead, we believe Tesla owners need quality screen protector to protect and enjoy their investment. You can read more about our story in About us section; but in short, we custom designed the screen protector and accessories that go with it. That is why when you buy a screen protector from other sellers they all look similar while ElonAccessories screen protector is from a different league.
What to look for when buying a screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?Look for quality and reviews over anything else. Any product could be made either cheaply or with quality.
Also look for if the seller is US based or overseas. Check if you will get all accessories for installation. Make sure to read reviews for ease of installation, clear directions and finally the quality - fit and functionality. It is also good to check for customer service and warranty.
Who has the best screen protector for your Tesla touchscreen?It may sound like a biased opinion but as a Tesla owner I use accessories from other companies. As of writing of this blog post, we at Elon Accessories have the world's best screen protector a Tesla owner can get. Because:
- Every part of our screen protector is custom made specifically for Tesla owners- the actual screen protector, installation kit and premium packaging
- We are a California (Silicon Valley to be specific) based company that is deeply rooted in the ethos of technology, design and innovation
- We provide unparalleled customer service
- We are committed to renewable energy and actively participate in promoting Tesla in and around Silicon Valley and beyond through Tesla community
See what other Tesla owners have to say about us in review section of any screen protector product page.